Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mentorship 3/21/13

A pentagon on my 2 hour lesson plan:

Positive statement:
Lately, I have felt discouraged about teaching, not being able to get much help from chemistry teachers in my community. I tried very hard to get mentorship at local high schools (and some not so local ones), but none of them wanted to be liable for having another teenager to look out for. Luckily, I was able to mentor with Paul Hubbard through a homeschool group. He gave me an opportunity to teach a lesson to his students.

EQ answers:
Throughout my interviews, teachers consistently said that the best way to assess the scientific understanding of the class is during lectures. Students either get it or they don't. With 10 students enrolled in Hubbard's class, it was easy to look at everyone's face during the lecture. I got to see if they understood what I was saying by their interactions within the class. As a teacher with a small class, it is easy to involve the students with the lecture and get them to talk with you. You can require the students to talk with you, and, in the end, get them to solve the problems. You check understanding by their involvement and what they say in class.

What worked:
The students afterwards went up to me, and they actually thanked me which was a very nice feeling. Besides that, I knew what I was doing for the most part. Being at iPoly has certainly helped my presentation skills that teaching a two hour class wasn't that intimidating. It also gave me a new perspective for my two hour presentation at school. Mr. Hubbard also gave me feedback on the lesson which did help me.

What didn't work:
I got very nervous because that was the first time I ever got to really have a hands on approach with his class. I think my nerves got the best of me, which made me talk faster and get more flustered.

Finding value:
This presentation, although it wasn't really a part of my project yet, has helped me with my two hour lesson because it has given me hope to be able to actually get through the presentation. Given the opportunity to teach a class has also given me an outlook of how my future as a teacher may look. After the class, I was excited and happy that I could actually pull it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment