Monday, May 20, 2013

Mentorship

    Literal
Same Contact Information as before:
Paul Hubbard. 
   Interpretive
I got to see how to teach in a different way then I am normally used to. The class size allowed for a much more intimate setting which was a lot different from our chemistry class, which is more traditional. Cal Poly's class as well was out of the norm because it was much larger. Basically I got to have an experience as a teacher and through that I connected with the students, and I was able to ask them how they personally learned. In a class of nine, I realized that each student has different needs and learning capabilities. I got to try to device a lesson plan that would help each one. I realized half way through that was impossible. I learned how to work on my feet while teaching, and ask for confirmation when I was reviewing the lesson with students. If they didn't understand I had backup plans. 

   Applied
My essential question revolves around students being assessed about their scientific understanding. Mr. Hubbard uses at home tests, in fact, most of his class is done from home. He taught and conducted labs with his students on Thursdays. They had homework, tests, and lab reports that they turn it to grade. With these assignments, as well as their in class participation, he assessed there level of understanding. He asked students different questions to try to develop everyone's understanding no matter where they started. Throughout the year, Mr. Hubbard has used each of my answers in his own way. For example, he never devotes class time to taking tests, or during labs and lectures he want his students to be completely involved. He talks to them during it to ensure their understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment